Motorhead Quote

"The battlefields are silent now. The graves all look the same." -- Motorhead,Voices from the War

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Weihe/White Testimonial

Henry Charles Weihe, aka Charles White, was a sergeant serving in Company M, 7th U.S. Cavalry, under Captain Thomas French. He was born in September 1847 in Germany.  

During the Battle of the Little Bighorn, he was wounded in the right arm. His horse was killed when the retreat from the valley fight began. He was part of a small group of troopers who were left in the timber after the valley fight who had hooked up with civilian scout George Herendeen. They all later rejoined Reno and the rest of the troops on the hilltop. 

Interview with George Herendeen – "Once in a while, while in the timber, I would go to the edge and look, and finally seeing only a few Indians, I told the men we would go out and that we must walk and not run and go across the open flat. There was a wounded corporal or sergeant.  On the way out of the timber only one shot was exchanged with these Indians. I told the men not to shoot unless necessary, that I did not want to stir up a general engagement with them – not to run but to go in skirmish order. Take it cool and we would get out.  I told them that I had been in such scrapes before and know we could get out if we kept our cool. I told them that I could get out alone and if they would do what I told them, I could get them out also. The wounded sergeant then spoke up and said: “They will do what you want for I will compel them to obey. I will shoot the first man who starts to run or to disobey orders.” This wounded sergeant helped me out in good shape. We got to the river. The water was rather deep where we forded.  The sergeant and I remained on the west bank while the balance forded. We told them that when they got over to protect us while we forded, and they did so."

Sergeant White was transported to Fort Lincoln aboard the steamer Far West. 

Daniel Newell stated, “Sergeant White, though badly wounded in the elbow, stayed on his feet and did everything he could to relieve the sufferers. He had a glassful of jelly in his bags and each wounded man got a small spoonful of that.”

The following was published in the Lead Daily Call newspaper on May 29, 1904:


Here's an ad from the same issue for the Quaker Doctors Weihe is referring to:


Henry Charles Weihe died on October 29, 1906. He is buried at the Fort Meade Post Cemetery outside Sturgis, South Dakota.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. No sign-in required.