Motorhead Quote

"The battlefields are silent now. The graves all look the same." -- Motorhead,Voices from the War

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Battle of Little Bighorn Traveling Cemetery

Back in August, I traveled out to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to attend the 50th annual conference of the Little Big Horn Associates. I've been to these conferences before and have always had a great time. If you are interested in this period of history (which is probably why you're on this website), you definitely need to look into membership in the Little Big Horn Associates. You will receive newsletters to keep you updated on happenings, new books, battlefield news, etc. You will also receive the RESEARCH REVIEW, a high quality scholarly journal, which contains articles and photographs on this fascinating period of our country's history.

This year at the conference, I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny Niemeyer. Jenny is the force behind the Battle of Little Bighorn Traveling Cemetery. And what is the Battle of the Little Bighorn Traveling Cemetery? Here's the description from the website:

"I have visited the Little Bighorn Battlefield in southeastern Montana many times. To the Natives who called this place home it is still known as the Greasy Grass. Each time I visited I felt the presence of the dead and I wanted to find a way to honor all of them.

Many people who research this battle are focused on George Custer and his "last stand," but there's so much more to know. In total, 263 cavalrymen, eight civilian employees, three Arikara scouts, 24 Lakota soldiers, seven Cheyenne soldiers, six Lakota women and four Lakota children died over the course of the two-day battle. I am honoring each of them with a portrait and a short biography. This is the Battle of Little Bighorn Traveling Cemetery."

I have one of Jenny's portraits sitting on my desk. The eyes are particularly haunting. 

I encourage you to check out Jenny's website and library or work. Here's a video from Jenny's site explaining the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. No sign-in required.