Motorhead Quote

"The battlefields are silent now. The graves all look the same." -- Motorhead,Voices from the War

Friday, August 18, 2023

General Custer's Body Recovered

Subscribing to newspapers.com is one of the smartest things I've ever done. I originally signed up for the trial period to check some things out. But I find myself returning to those "musty, old newspapers" on a regular basis. The cost is roughly the same as a streaming video service and you don't feel guilty if you spend an entire evening hunting around.

The following was stumbled upon while looking up a totally different subject. When that happens, and it happens a lot, I drop it into a file folder. When I'm struggling for something to post in an update, like now, I'll go looking through that folder and I always find something interesting.

This little tidbit is from the BLACK HILLS CHAMPION newspaper out of Deadwood, South Dakota. This is from the July 16, 1877 edition.

Black Hills Champion, Deadwood, South Dakota, July 16, 1877

2 comments:

  1. What a gem you found. I wonder what the mood was like on the steamer as it made its way down stream. I suspect the gravity of the situation/cargo made for many quiet miles borne out of respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are correct. Especially when you read about the difficulty in finding and identifying the bodies in the first place.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave your comments. No sign-in required.