Motorhead Quote

"The battlefields are silent now. The graves all look the same." -- Motorhead,Voices from the War

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Sarah Campbell Obituary and Photo

So I have been organizing my files - both paper and digital. I ran across a couple of items that were in my Sarah Campbell files that I thought I had already uploaded to the website. Upon further review, I had them in a folder of website items when in fact they have never been put on the site. My bad.

The first item is the only known photo of Sarah "Aunt Sally" Campbell. I know the quality isn't that great but it's as good as it gets folks.

Only known photograph of Sarah "Aunt Sally" Campbell

The other item is her obituary from the Black Hills Weekly Times in Deadwood. This obituary appeared in the April 14, 1888 issue on page 4, column 4. The obituary lists her age as 75 when it is generally believed that she was 64 years old at the time she died. Lilah Morton Pengra's excellent biography, SARAH CAMPBELL: THE FIRST WHITE WOMAN IN THE BLACK HILLS WAS AFRICAN AMERICAN, also lists her birth year as 1823. That's good enough for me.

UPDATE!!! - UPDATE!!! - UPDATE!!!

Sarah Campbell researcher and author Lilah Morton Pengra recently contacted me and provided an un-cropped version of the photo above. Many thanks to Lilah for this wonderful photo!



Sarah "Aunt Sally" Campbell Obituary - Black Hills Weekly Times - April 14, 1888

Sarah Campbell Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. No sign-in required.