Motorhead Quote

"The battlefields are silent now. The graves all look the same." -- Motorhead,Voices from the War

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Using GPS to Walk in History’s Footsteps

When I first started hunting down the 7th Cavalry troopers that are buried in South Dakota along with other historical sites, I simply had a little pocket notebook that quickly turned into a confusing mess. I crossed stuff out, had arrows drawn around the page, coffee stains on the paper, etc. It was not the best method.

I decided to opt for a handheld GPS system. Now I was in business! I went back to every site and “marked” it. I also starting marking related sites as I went about my travels. I could hook the GPS unit to my computer and download the file information. I could then take the generated information and chart it on a field map that I was able to download from the manufacturer’s (Garmin) website. This gave me a composite view of all the sites and also let me export the data into an Excel spreadsheet where I could add my own notes and keep everything nice, clear, and concise. But that still sounds like a complicated and time-consuming process. And believe me, it was.

Enter the age of the smartphone. Everything became so much easier when the smartphone made its entry into our lives. Now I had the ability to download a GPS app to device I was going to be carrying with me anyway. Not to mention that the camera on modern smartphones rival standalone digital cameras. If you allow them to, they will also embed the GPS coordinates into the photos you take. How frickin’ easy is that?! You can walk up to a site, take your photos, look around, and leave. Confident in the fact the GPS readings are stored safely in your phone. Then when you want to re-visit, load your GPS app and follow it to your target. Ain’t life grand?

GPS Apps

Spyglass - The first GPS app I downloaded for my phone was Spyglass by Happy Magenta. This app is loaded. You can mark waypoints, name them, sort them, import, export, and anything else you may want to do. It is a full featured app. It is available for both iPhone and Android. You probably could get along fine with the free version but the paid version gives you a few more options and takes away the ads.
Waypoints list in Spyglass.
GPS Tracks - I just recently found this app and it’s currently the main one I’m using. You can import, export, mark waypoints, track your routes, and more. One of the cool features I like is you can associate a photo with each location. There is also note-taking ability. Each waypoint therefore can have a photo and note field. Waypoints can be sorted into folders to help keep everything organized. This app isn’t free but it’s only a few bucks. There is a pro subscription available which will unlock more features and give you the ability to download maps for offline use. Unfortunately, at this time, this app is only available for iPhone. It’s a gorgeous app and works flawlessly. One drawback however, is that the non-subscription version only uses Apple Maps. Apple doesn’t have the best track record with maps. You can easily copy the GPS coordinates and paste them into Google Maps however.

Waypoints list in GPS Tracks.
Whether you have an Android or an iPhone, you should be able to find a decent GPS app. Many are free or at least offer a free trial. Find one you like and get familiar with it. You don’t want to be out on the trail trying to figure out how to use your app.

Download Grave Information

PDF Version - download grave information in text format. This will give you the information to find the graves on your own. Includes a spreadsheet with the GPS coordinates for each grave waypoint.

KML File - download the GPS coordinates in a .KML file for use in Google Earth applications.

GPX File - download and import into your own GPS device or smartphone application.

Get out and go visit these historical places yourself. If you choose to visit any of the locations that are on private property, please get landowner permission first.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments. No sign-in required.